Here is a simple guide on how to apply for Green Card Lottery. The Diversity Visa program, popularly known to many as Green Card lottery, is a lottery program by the US government that gives people from other selected countries an opportunity to live, work and study in the US lawfully. The program was enacted in 1990 during the regime of George W Bush.
The green card lottery allocates 55,000 immigrant visas annually in a bid to diversify the population of immigrants in the US by choosing applicants from countries with a low number of immigrants for the last five years.
The selection of applicants is normally done randomly by computer from the U.S. Department of State.
How to Apply For Green Card Lottery
- Open https://dvlottery.state.gov/ on your phone or computer browser.
- Click on “Begin Entry”.
- Enter the authentication code.
- Fill in your last, first and middle names.
- Select your Gender.
- Enter your date of birth.
- City where you were born.
- The country where you were born.
- Country of eligibility for the DV Program.
- Enter the name of passport holder, passport number, passport expiration date and country of issuance.
- Upload your Green Card Lottery passport photo.
- Fill in the mailing address.
- The country where you live today.
- Enter a phone number.
- Email address and confirm. It will be used to send you additional information if you get selected by the U.S Department of State.
- Choose your level of education.
- Martial status.
- The number of children for married people. Also, make sure that you upload the photos of your children and spouse.
- Submit the information and print the confirmation number. You will use the CN to check if you have been selected come next year May 3rd noon USA time.
Green Card Lottery Photo Examples
Green Card Lottery Requirements
1. Green Card Lottery Photo Requirements
- Photo should be Coloured
- Photo should not be more than 6 months old so that it can reflect the applicant’s current look.
- Photo should be taken in a white or grey plain background.
- Facial expression should be neutral and both eyes open.
- Taken in clothes you normally put on daily.
- Not taken using uniforms unless its religious clothes that you put on daily. Eg: Hijab for Indians is acceptable.
- Applicants should not wear caps, put on eyeglasses unless they have been advised not to remove by doctors because of medical reasons or wireless hands-free devices or gadgets when taking green card lottery photos.
- Hearing devices are allowed if you normally wear them.
- Photo should be in JPEG file format.
- File size of the photo should be less than 240kb.
- Height must be equal to the width.
- Photo should be 600 by 600 pixels.
- Scanned photos should be 2 by 2 inches and resolution 300 pixels per inch.
2. Green Card Lottery Passport Requirements
- The passport should be valid and not expiring anytime soon.
I hope that this simple guide on how to apply for Green Card Lottery has been of great help to you.